Most of the recipes out there for natural dyeing (at least the ones I found) are for dyeing an entire pound of fiber. While that's not particularly difficult for pre-made fabric, it's a bit more difficult to dye a pound of yarn. I usually dye around 3 or 4 oz. at a time and that's it!
Once I finally GOT the pot (around 3pm...I went out at 11ish!) I searched online for several recipes. I wasn't really sure how to mordant fiber. I had a basic idea, but didn't have precise measurements. They all seem to say about 10-25% of the weight of the fiber you are dyeing is how much alum (mordant) you use. (Note: I was only looking at alum recipes since that's all I have right now)
Since I had decided I wanted to attempt dyeing with curry powder, I read a few recipes on it first. I discovered that curry (or turmeric) is one of the few natural dyes that sticks to cotton (or cellulose) WITHOUT a mordant. So I was able to save myself a step and just get straight to dyeing.
![]() |
| My lovely red dye pot. I'm so happy it's red. |
![]() |
| Yarn soup. Yup. Pretty much. |
![]() |
| I must admit I'm pretty excited to see how it looks once the yarn is washed, dried and ready to use! |
~JoAnna



Looks great! I can't stand the smell of curry though :( I can't wait to see the finished product!
ReplyDeleteYeah. The smell was pretty intense. I have a wicked headache now. Ha ha. :) And the entire house smells a bit like the Indian restaurant in town.
ReplyDeleteHow fun! And how PRETTY! I love it. I love how it came out, too! Haha I love that your house smells like India Palace now. At least you guys like that place :)
ReplyDelete